Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Visiting Family

On Monday, even though the family was sick, we decided to get out into the fresh air. Better than being cooped up in the apartment all day.

Dan and I had been talking about family who had passed on. On a whim, we decided to take a visit to Holy Cross Cemetery; a place where the kids didn't have to worry about getting anyone sick, we could get a little exercise, didn't have to spend money, and learn about each other's family. Dan and I both have family buried there. I have a ton of family on my grandfather's side. We looked up plot numbers online and every single Wissink buried there (approx 10 or so) is a family member. There is even more family with different surnames but it would have taken us all day to find them all. My great great grandmother Gertrude, who was my Grandpa Don's grandma, died at the age of 108 in 1995. I was 5 years old at her 100th Birthday party. If my great grandpa Lawrence hadn't passed away there would have been 5 generations together at that party.

My Grandpa Don and Grandma Joan have both buried their parents at Holy Cross. Evelyn was Joan's mother, and George was her father. Joan also has a grandmother buried right next to her dad.



Grandpa Don's dad, Lawrence passed away when my mom was 14. I believe he was a fireman here in Spokane. His passing was unrelated to his work. Don's mother, Theresia is buried with Lawrence.


Don and Joan also have a baby buried at Holy Cross. Theresa was stillborn in 1964 at full term. We left a pinwheel spinning and some flowers for her.


Dan's dad, Steve, has buried both his parents at Holy Cross also. Eugene (Gene) & Lucylle (Lucy). When we decided to go to the cemetery on Monday, we didn't realize that same day was the 41st anniversary of Lucy's passing. Dan brought a single pink rose for the grandmother he never met.



Dan and I told stories to each other about our families, and we wore Ian out with all the walking around.

It was peaceful, beautiful, and we are both very happy we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment