Thursday, May 22, 2008

When It Rains...

Well Dan and I have been on a mission to get the Explorer fixed. Last fall we discovered that it needed some front end work underneath. In Feb, we took it in and I can't remember what all we had fixed under there but it was $500 and we still didn't have EVERYTHING fixed. We've been sharing a car just fine since then too. Therefore, we decided to sell my car and just keep the Explorer. In order to do that we need to finish the work on the Explorer. My dad is going to help Dan replace the front end wheel bearings and seals (overall part cost about $75) and then Dan's dad is going to help with a new set of tires (thank you god because those are expensive!). Then we must pay to get an alignment. On Dan's salary and my unemployment, we have been on a tight budget with the funds now set aside to complete all of that work.

In the midst of this, we have decided to sell my car. It's a great car but I would much rather have the boys in their car seats in the Explorer than the Stratus. We could trade both in, or sell both and get a newer car but in the end it will just cost more money. We refuse to have a car payment until absolutely necessary. Call us crazy but we'd rather save for another house for the next 5 years than put it towards something that decreases in value everytime you drive it.

Anyway, I digress. The check engine light is on in my car (a complete, whoops I forgot that thing was shining bright yellow on the dash). A code says it's a P0420 - meaning "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)" - After careful research and a few calls around, I've found that it's not a terrible problem as far as the car driving and operating. However it's a pain if you're trying to sell it! The code means I either need to replace the o2 sensor or the catalytic converter. A call to Meineke says it's not too expensive either. We're looking at about $175 for the sensor or $275 for the converter. This is a glitch in my plans to sell the car in the next 2 weeks but you gotta do what you gotta do right?

That's just my "when it rains, it pours" vent. It could have been worse! At least my tabs are new this month and I didn't have to get an emissions test.



Wish us luck in this venture!

No comments:

Post a Comment