Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Blood Blood Everywhere

I am as cool as a cucumber when anyone gets hurt. I am normally calm in those kind of situations. However, when Ian gets hurt, I panic. It kills me to see him crying in pain. Last night, he was walking around with a bottle of water when he tripped on a blankie and fell. He immediately started crying and Dan picked him up and handed him to me (because that's our deal, the kid gets hurt, mom gets him because it's the only thing that helps calm her panic). It was a little dark in the living room but I noticed a drip of blood on his bottom lip. So I held him close and took him into the bathroom to get a better look. I turned on the light and there was blood everywhere. All over my shirt, his shirt, my arm, his face, he had so much blood in his mouth I couldn't even tell if he still had all his teeth. So guess who panicked! Dan is always calm and started trying to rinse out some of the blood in Ian's mouth so he could see where it was coming from. I, in the meantime, called my mom (she lives just up the street, and she's an RN). If it had been anyone else, I would have been exactly like Dan, but when Ian is hurt badly, I need my mom too! So my mom came down, put on some gloves, and found that his "upper labial frenum," that little tag of tissue between the upper lips and gums, was cut. It took awhile to get the bleeding to stop. She had me put some sterile gauze on the area until the bleeding was controlled and then I gave him some kiddie Motrin (out of Tylenol!) and held him on the couch while he drank an ice cold water bottle. I tried to put a little cold pack on his lip to prevent swelling but he wouldn't let me. Eventually he fell asleep. This morning he has a little purple bruise on his lip and it's a tad swollen, but other than that, he's a resilient kid. So there is my first parental experience with a bleeding child, I've finally been initiated.

No comments:

Post a Comment