I still think Ian has a food allergy. I am unconvinced by the results of his blood test. (Especially since I begged for it even when Dr Lee said that they aren't entirely accurate and can have false negatives at this age).
Last night Ian had pudding - an hour later his rash was red and extended to his ear.
This morning (a half hour ago) I gave him yogurt - The left side of his face is broken out again.
I am going to keep track of what he eats when he breaks out. I have a feeling it could be more than just milk. I don't really believe that it's just eczema because I have seen it clear up and be gone for a week - a feat that has only happened when I've carefully read labels before feeding him. Since it's return and our revert to his old diet, the eczema hasn't left.
Plus, I'm "sign-oriented" - I had put this allergy out of my head for the last week. I opened up last months issue of Parents (hadn't gotten to it yet) and halfway through I stumbled upon an article regarding food allergies. In Ian's 21 months of life I haven't come across a magazine article with food allergies until now. To me that's a sign that I shouldn't just put this in the back of my mind. Even if I'm wrong, I will feel better having explored every avenue rather than suffer the guilt of having given him something that he shouldn't have been eating.
So for the next week, I will keep Ian on his old diet and document his menu and rash breakouts. Then, the following week I will adjust his diet to reflect possible allergies and go from there.
Wish me luck.
spaghetti aglio e olio
2 weeks ago

I suggest going to an allergist. They can do a skin prick test that will be more accurate than a blood test.
ReplyDeleteHis allergy could also be something different...like whey or casein or something. Not necessarily milk. When our pedi did H2's blood test, they just did a comprehensive food allergy test that doesn't scan for EVERY thing, just the basics.
I think you're on the right track with the food diary and rash tracker. Do that, then compare the foods (every ingredient) that cause the breakout. Unfortunately, there are some things that most doc's won't skin test specifically for unless you have a reason for thinking it was that (like carrots, for example!)
Good Luck...I can send you some other resources for food allergies, if you'd like. We can be in this thing together!