My friend Elisabeth is paying it forward with a Challenge for the holidays.
"I challenge every one of my readers to come up with at least 2 organizations to GIVE BACK to this holiday season."
Well, coincidentally, Dan and I have been kicking around ideas to give back to those less fortunate than us. Because face it, no matter how tough you have it, there is always someone else worse off. Since we're moving at the end of the month, I have been going through things to keep or donate. However, I don't feel "good" about donating to places like Value Village or Goodwill because those two stores always seem to jack up the prices and end up reselling things back to the not so needy people who donated it in the first place. Therefore one of my attempts to give back this season will be to Ian's pre-school. Ian has so many toys in great condition that he doesn't play with. I talked to his teacher and she said I could bring them into the classroom and anything they can't use or don't need, they will send on to some families they know who could use the toys.
(Ian's preschool also caters to families who are financially struggling and also get some kind of government assistance for preschool, child care, therapy, etc. It's a great program and the staff is wonderful.)
I also have a TON of non perishable food items for the food bank as well as some diapers for Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery. Maybe the giving will take off from there?
As Elisabeth noted in her blog:
"Comment and link back to my page if you decide you are up to the challenge and want to pay this forward this year. I'd love to hear how you and your family are going to give back this year."
Thanks to Elisabeth (and her friend Annemarie) for the ideas and the motivation.
spaghetti aglio e olio
2 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment