Monday, June 16, 2008

Allergy Update

So by accident, we exposed Ian to cow's milk this weekend.

His rash had been gone, completely clear until Saturday morning.

Friday night he was enjoying a bowl of Sesame Street organic chicken and vegetable noodle soup with a side of Key Lime soy yogurt, and very vanilla soy milk when he spotted his mama sneaking hot McDonald's french fries from a bag. (Pregnancy craving!!!) - I thought, it's potato, it's a french fry, a couple of them can't hurt. So Ian had a handful.

Bad Move on mama's part.

The next morning the makings of a nasty rash began to appear on his face. I have been keeping a food diary for him and immediately Dan and I tried to think of things that could have caused his outbreak again. (And of course, I DIDN'T remember to add the fries to his diary). All day we tried to come up with the cause.

Sunday morning the rash was much worse. Dan and I thought, did he get into the box of Cheezits? Were we wrong to think it was a milk allergy? Seriously, I was beginning to get discouraged. Then it was like a lightbulb - The French Fries. I flew to the computer and typed in McDonald's website - they have detailed nutrition information posted, including food allergens. I began scanning for the info on fries and Voila -

"French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients). "


Oops!

So I guess we didn't need to wait 2 entire weeks to figure it out. Ian has a milk allergy that he will most likely grow out of at some point. Until then, he's going to keep the grocery budget high with his specialty foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment