Yesterday, we were at Fred Meyer, ready to do some major grocery shopping. I got out of the car and into the back seat to unbuckle Ian and get him out. I put the kid on my left hip and used my right hand to shut the door. I wasn't paying much attention and realized I couldn't move away from the car. I looked, and saw that my right ring finger was stuck in the door. It was parallel with the door so that the two sides were smashed towards the middle, one side being completely invisible. I was holding Ian in my free hand so I couldn't use it to open the door, however, the doors were locked anyway so I would have been helpless by myself. I frantically called to Dan on the other side of the car, "Open the door, Open the door, Open the door!" - It didn't really register with him as to what I was requesting because he hit the power lock button and said "It's unlocked" to which I continued saying "No, OPEN THE DOOR!" (I saw that blood was aleady dripping down my hand). He said he then noticed (through the car windows) that my arm was in an unusual position. He scrambled through the backseat from the other side of the car, and opened the door. I sort of tossed Ian into the backseat and burst into tears. Dan handed me a white shirt to wrap my finger in. The door had made a indentation/hole into the left side of my finger, next to the nail, and blood was seeping out from the top of the nail. My finger was completely swollen. (I thank god that my finger was parallel and NOT perpendicular because that would have been much much more painful). We jumped back in the car and the pain was so intense that I told Dan it was much worse than labor contractions - which he replied with "but you didn't have to push with Ian" - I love you hubs but not the time to be factually correct when I am trying to explain pain. (He did make me laugh a little because his statement was so innocent without sarcasm). I had him drive to my mom's so she could doctor me up. She whipped out her nurse kit and bandaged me with instructions for ice and home care. The bleeding didn't subside for about 7 hours and I couldn't take any ibuprofen to help with the swelling. I will tell you what though, had I not been pregnant, I would have popped a hydrocodone, but alas, it was just Tylenol for me (which did nothing really).
This morning, I took off the bandage (had rebandaged it about 3 times the night before), and the swelling has gone down a bit. My nail is not black just a tinge of lavendar with no apparent trama to the nail bed. The pain is mostly in the left side of the finger with lots of tingling. I decided that if the numbness/tingling do not go away by Tuesday morning (3 days post) I will have it checked out.
Hubs said I ALWAYS seem to hurt myself when pregnant rather than when not pregnant. This is true. In the past 3 years I have not had any accidental injuries unless I was pregnant. With Ian, at about 3 months, I fell backwards in a chair and hit the back of my head on a draw pull - I swear I blacked out for a few seconds and ended up with a dent in my head, followed by a massive headache and goose egg for which I could only take Tylenol. Then at 6 months, we were rear ended on the I-5 freeway, while at a stop in traffic. That was horrible. Again, migraines with only Tylenol for pain relief. And then at about 8 months I had microwaved some chocolate sauce (for way too long) and accidently poured it on my belly. I remember getting in the shower immediately and watching a couple layers of skin bubble up and fall off. That was horrible but I didn't even cry. I had to put burn cream on my belly for a long time. I still have a scar.
I think my pain tolerance has lowered.
simple chicken tacos
1 day ago

No comments:
Post a Comment